Wednesday 6 May 2009

Cycling above the French Riviera

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the long blog-less absence; I've been under the weather recently. I'm back in France after two months in Canada and am awaiting my Spring guiding season impatiently. So instead of twirling my thumbs today, awaiting my first group on Sunday, I decided to test my work tools (legs) on a bike ride. Based in the quaint town of Le Lavandou on the French Riviera, I cycled up towards the perched village of Bormes les Mimosas. The town is very pretty, its narrow streets laden with exotic flowers, especially mimosa... Below is a picture of the town.



Continuing the climb out of the village, the views of the Mediterranean become outstanding... You can see the island of Le Levant in the background: a nudist colony since the early 20th century. Unfortunately I didn't bring my binoculars...


And before long I found myself in the mountains, blanketed with cork trees and wild flowers... The road winds its way through forest with steep cliffs and blind turns, which didn't stop two motorcyclists from passing me as if they were on a speed track (they are French after all).

Here I am at the top of the pass -- Col de Babaou -- sweaty but satisfied... now it's time to turn around and coast 15km downhill...



Speaking of coasting downhill, here's a little video. I don't recommend cycling downhill on a treacherous road while videotaping, but I couldn't help myself...






Back in Bormes les Mimosas, nearly finished my descent, I figured my efforts could be rewarded with some ice cream...



Blog you soon,
Stuart