Wednesday 13 March 2013

Les Jas du Ventoux

 Yesterday's walk took me high above the village of Bedoin, where the views towards the south extended all the way to the plains of the Rhône Valley.



At about 1000m in altitude on the south face of Bedoin are "Jas": centuries-old shepherd's huts, used for shelter for both the shepherd and his flocks, and a great resting spot during hikes. I visited two of them during yesterday's walk but there are many more along the slopes.




One of the many walkers' signposts along the way:



Through the cedar forest:



On my way back down the mountain I tried out a new path: La Combe de Curnier, a tight canyon that in spots is narrower than a body width (at least mine), and where I needed to twist my body to continue along the trail:



see what I mean!



Taken from the base of the canyon, these are boxwood plants that have grown vertically like trees, seeking the precious sunlight that the canyon deprives them of.



A strange waymark near the trailhead?



Almond flowers, giving off a distinct honey-smell and announcing the forthcoming spring.


The cultivated foothills of ventoux, seen from the GR91 trail.