Monday 10 January 2011

Lourmarin

Today's reconnaissance walk took me into the heart of the Luberon Mountains, starting from the Seguins hotel in Buoux. The clouds remained low, sweeping through the hills, a rarity here, giving these Mediterranean mountains more of an alpine feel.




And as usual, during my winter walks, I have the hills to myself. These past few days have been mild, temperatures in the high teens (celcius!), a real pleasure to walk.



The tracks crisscross along the crest, a mix of forestry roads and walking paths leading every which way through the Luberon. A truffle oak is in the foreground of the picture but I didn't check whether it was harbouring a winter truffle (no dog or pig at my disposal!).



The town of Lourmarin, and the fading sun above its church, weaving through the low-lying clouds...