Thursday 15 July 2010

Tour de France



Could I convince you to drive 4 hours in the sweltering heat to watch 200 grown men ride bicycles for 30 seconds? Could anyone be convinced? Well I convinced myself: on a day where temperatures rose close to 40 degrees, where my sandal-kept toes fried in the sun, waiting anxiously at the side of the unshaded road for a group of three cyclists who managed to escape from the peloton, who when approached didn't seem to care much about conserving their 3-minute lead.

And then the 3-minute wait for the peloton to sweep by, who did so rather anticlimatically, and I waited for the very last cyclists to pass to get a glimpse of the back of jersey #21, worn by Lance Armstrong, chatting with another cyclist at the back of the pack.

And then that was it.

My whole day and 30€ of gas for this?

Yes sir, I'll be back next year!