Saturday 5 June 2010

Scandinavians in Provence

I can't say I had the best of guiding weeks; then again, I can't really say that I guided: I spent my week trailing 16 Swedes and Norwegians in a support vehicle, listening to terrible French radio stations, at speeds of about 10 to 15km/h. They already had their guide -- Magnus -- a veteran who's guided all over the world, mostly for cultural tours. My job was more a logistical one: fixing flat tires, repairing bikes, handing out water, preparing picnic lunches...

An example of a picnic lunch, set under the shade of an olive tree in the town of Roquemaure, across the Rhône river from Chateauneuf du Pape.


I managed to snap this shot below with the group in motion. I have to admit I placed the rosé there myself: the Scandinavians are too well-mannered to attempt such behaviour on their own...

Though the driving was tedious terribly boring, it was interesting chatting with the guests, whose world views, experiences, and cultural differences made for great conversion (in English of course: my Swedish is still rather limited).