Wednesday 14 April 2010

Cherry Blossoms...

It's the month of April, and the cherry blossoms have come into bloom. I've been doing quite a bit of scouting for a company called Walk Inn Provence, for whom I now work fulltime. Combing the tiniest of back roads and paths in the search of perfect walking and cycling holidays, I spend days on end in the heart of the Provençal countryside. Not a bad way to earn a paycheque...

Yesterday's travels took me -- among other places -- just below the tiny village of Séguret, perched high above the Rhône Valley. You can see the blurred village behind the cherry blossoms, which were the focus -- in both meaning of the term -- of the two photos below...






The weather began to turn halfway through the day, and below is the best shot I managed of an orchard in full bloom. To the right of the picture, just above the cherry trees, and perched on a hill, you can just make out the medieval village of Le Barroux, lit by the day's last rays of sunshine. The village is infamous for its most recognizable inhabitant: the leader of the extreme right wing party, Jean Marie Le Pen of the Front National. He could very well have argued that his "flame", used as the symbol for his political party, shielded his village from the incoming storm...


On a short bike ride at the end of a day of scouting, climbing the first tough kilometers of the road to Mont Ventoux, I learned that it'll take much more training before if I ever make my way back to the summit.